Monday, April 2, 2012

Play Me a Song!

I grew up in a musical family.  Mom had a beautiful voice and a love of music that she and Dad shared.  We listened to music all day long, it seemed.  Mom played lots of classical music as well as the old musicals like Sound of Music or The King and I, and definitely lots of church music.  I'm taken back to my childhood when I hear songs like "The Lily of the Valley" or "The Old Rugged Cross."  We kids sang together in church from a very young age, and all of us love and enjoy music to this day.

I've always had music playing as our children were growing up.  Each of our kids also love music, including Aaron.  Aaron is much like me in that he tends to lean towards more peppy music, you could say.  I love the classical sound of a violin, but I really get down to the sound of a bluegrass fiddle.  My mother would call most of my musical preferences today "jazzy" music.  That always makes us laugh to hear her say that phrase, because it's said with some disdain.  She told me recently that she wouldn't attend a certain service at her assisted living home because at that time they "played that jazzy music."  That's probably the service that I would have enjoyed the most!  But I didn't tell her that!

I always have a CD playing when I drive, or the radio, but most often a CD.  Aaron loves the music and so we listen to something like Little Mermaid, or Alabama, or maybe oldies songs.  Aaron and I were listening to my Shania Twain CD one day.  He heard the song "Man! I Feel Like a Woman" and it obviously made quite an impression on him.  He laughed about it and said, "Now that's weird that she feels like a woman.  She IS a woman."  I just left it there.

Later that evening in his room, as he played a computer game, I heard him singing in a rather monotone voice, "Man! I feel like a woman."  Over and over he dryly intoned that phrase, "Man. I feel like a woman."  I began having visions of him singing that phrase in the middle of the men's bathroom at Wal-Mart or the mall............"Man. I feel like a woman!"  This could be bad.  I was very happy that he finally lost interest in that song. 

The other night Aaron had the television on and suddenly he said, "Mom!  Come here!  Look at this!"  I went to the den and saw that he was watching the public television station.  There was an orchestra playing a beautiful classical piece and Aaron was intrigued.  We watched awhile and we talked about the different instruments.  I said, "Isn't it interesting, Aaron, to see the actual instrument that makes the sounds that you hear all the time in music?"  He agreed and so we watched for a few more minutes. 

Aaron was unusually quiet and as I looked at him, I saw that his head was leaning over a little and he was very still as he watched the orchestra.  Finally he perked up and said, "Now that's SLEEPY music!" 

Well, yes, I guess you could say that.  Compared to "Man!  I Feel Like a Woman!"  it would appear to be "sleepy music." 

Probably a lot safer in the men's bathroom, too.  I should probably dig out my "sleepy music" Cd's again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment