Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Read my Face!

Individuals with Asperger's have a very difficult time reading social cues that you and I take for granted.  Aaron doesn't seem to notice at all when he is going on and on during a family meal, for instance, about global warming or Egyptian hieroglyphics or the rings of Saturn..............that we are not interested after a certain long period of time and that we really want to interact with each other about other subjects.  Subjects that most often have absolutely nothing to do with Aaron's range of interests. 

He does, however, know how to read my face.........if he takes the time to look.  He also reads my silence as an indicator that he has crossed the line with Mom - that Mom is frustrated - or angry. 

Once I overheard Aaron telling Andrea about buying a movie that did not meet our approval.   He said, "Mom's face acted like she didn't like it." 

How interesting...........and funny!  And today he knew that my face didn't like the fact that he was not wanting to get ready for his group, so we were several minutes late, with morning necessities undone.  I'm thankful for Aaron's very patient staff, Cody.............and for the fact that Aaron was happy.  Of course, running into Quik Trip for a #52 Slushie and some Hot Tamales helped Aaron's face be happy.  Not so sure his stomach will be as happy a little later today.

He knew my face didn't like his attitude this morning.  He kept looking at me and saying, "WHAT??"  He knew what............just read my face, Aaron. 

Tomorrow is another day to hopefully make Mom's face like what he's doing and how he's behaving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment