Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Salon.......Saloon?

Aaron and I left earlier than usual yesterday morning so that on our way to meet his day group we could stop to get his hair cut.  He loves getting his hair cut, as well as his goatee and eyebrows trimmed.  Many of the girls at Great Clips know him now and so he is greeted warmly.  The other patrons are a little more curious about Aaron...........I can read it in their glances at him, or the stares.  Of course, the way Aaron bounds in the font door in his "take charge" fashion doesn't discourage the stares.  He'll ask (loudly), "Can I get my hair cut?!"  even as the ladies are still trying to say, "Welcome to Great Clips!"  Aaron knows that I've told him we can't be there long, so if there's a wait then we may have to leave.  Leaving is not an option to Aaron..........nor is beginning his conversation with a nice "Hello."  Nope - it's get right to the business at hand.........the hair cut and can I have it now and do I have to wait and I better not have to wait!

We were told that there was only about a five minute wait.  "So can I get my hair cut now, Mom?!"  Yes, Aaron, we can wait for five minutes.

He and I were both very relieved at that news, although for different reasons.  As we sat in the chairs to wait his turn, Aaron began his usual conversation...........loudly, as always.  "Mom, those people in the pictures on the walls look weird."

Why do you think they look weird, Aaron?

"Well, their hair looks all funny and their faces are shiny!"

So we talk about their haircuts and the make-up and their clothes and why they look just fine, not weird.  I believe, though, that Aaron still does..........and will always...........think they look weird.

Then he said.....loudly........."Mom, Great Clips is a salon, right?  It's spelled  s -a - l - o - n, right?"

Yes, Aaron, it's a salon.

"Well, I get that word mixed up with that other word spelled s - a - l - o - o - n." 

So we talked about the pronunciation of salon and saloon, and how closely similar they are spelled.  Aaron said, "Yeah, I get them confused." 

He paused and then said, "A salon is where you get your hair cut, but a saloon is that beer dancing thing!  You don't get your hair cut there!"

Nope, I don't think anyone would want to get their hair cut at a beer dancing thing.  Although I've seen some that look like maybe they have!

No comments:

Post a Comment