Friday, March 23, 2012

Pretzel Dogs and RVs

Part of what makes Aaron so interesting........or complex............or sometimes frustrating..........is the fact that there is very little in life that escapes his attention.  He notices, comments on, questions, or informs us about absolutely anything and everything - whether we are interested or not. 

A friend from our Life Group asked me recently if we would consider letting Aaron join in on our small group time.  We meet in our home and so it would make sense for Aaron to participate.  I told her, though, that as nice as it was for her to want Aaron to be a part of our group and to let me know that he was welcome to come, it wouldn't work.  Aaron would be interrupting our conversations every chance he got.  He would see that time as his prime opportunity to talk, talk, talk............and not about the Bible study or prayer requests or each other's life.  Only his life and his interests.  That's Aaron!

His comments are random, out-of-the-blue, and often unexpected.  We are usually along for the ride, carried here and there by his observations and stories, and often struggling to respond correctly or with feigned interest or without laughter. 

Yesterday after returning from his group, he described the lunch he bought at the East Mall.  "Mom, I got two pretzel dogs.  You remember pretzel dogs?  They're this big."  And he used his hands to approximate the size of the pretzel dogs. 

He continued, "I noticed something about those pretzel dogs.  They're slippery!"

We talked about the butter on the outside and why they put butter on the outside and then what other good pretzels are sold there and why he doesn't like the cheese dip but Cody does and the salt on the outside of the pretzels...............  

Wow!  Can he ever take a simple pretzel dog and make a whole commentary on it!

Then, "Mom, after my pretzel, I got a dipped cone at Dairy Queen.  You know, it's that vanilla ice cream......not chocolate!.........but it's dipped in chocolate.........it's called a shell."

I asked him if he liked the ice cream cone with the chocolate shell, and he said, "Well, it's not my favorite.  It's messy!"

As we headed outside to take Jackson for a walk, Aaron continued talking about the pretzel dogs and ice cream, and then told me about the group stopping at Sonic and how he got a grape slushie.  Then he transitioned right into RVs.  Yes, somehow he decided that he had a question about recreational vehicles. 

"Mom, does an RV have water in it for, you know, a shower or to use a toilet or to come out at a sink?"  I was still on pretzel dogs and grape slushies, but I've learned to switch gears quickly, so I told him that yes, RVs do have water inside.

This surprised Aaron.  "You mean an RV has water in it like a human house?" 

Yes, just like a human house, Aaron. 

I guess a human house as opposed to a bird house...........or a dog house.............which reminds me of pretzel dogs........and chocolate ice cream with a shell...........and grape slushies. 

I'm beginning to think like Aaron!

No comments:

Post a Comment