Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lessons From the Wind

We've had such a hot and dry summer, along with many others, and so the recent storms and rain that have come our way have been very welcome. It's been so nice to see the clouds building in the distance, then hear the rumbling thunder, and eventually, hopefully, see and hear the falling rain. My flowers and vegetables are much happier, as am I! It's been a relief to not have all the watering responsibilities over the past few days that I've had all summer. However, with some of our storms comes the inevitable and unwelcome strong winds. I could wish that all of our rains were like the sweet and gentle little shower that we received this morning. But this is Kansas and more often than not our storms are accompanied by strong winds. I can move our outdoor baskets of flowers to a safe location but there really is nothing that can protect all of the flowers or vegetables that grow around our house and in our gardens.


Most of my flowers are perennials and so I really don't like to see them damaged or killed. Replacing them every year can get expensive! The other day we received a late-night storm with those high winds, and when I saw my Black-Eyed Susans the next day my eyes lighted on a new patch of flowers that were leaning over and not looking the greatest. I propped them back up and hoped for the best. Today I couldn't help but notice them right away when I walked out the back door. There they were, all brown and wilting instead of perky and bright yellow. They were some of the tallest flowers in that patch and were such a bright spot in my garden. Now they look dismal and dead, lifeless and limp. The wind was too much for them and they are gone.



We all have storms in our lives at certain points. Sometimes the rains fall rather gently. We are actually refreshed by the waters when all is said and done, even though it may mean that we have to endure some rather stressful times. Yet at other periods of life the storms blow in with ferocity. The winds are strong and challenging, more than we feel that we can bear. They may mean prolonged suffering as we are relentlessly buffeted by one piece of bad news after another. We wonder if our roots can withstand the continual beating of the winds. We no sooner feel the winds of our trials easing up when we are suddenly blown again by another heartache or pain.


I've seen those I love being blown like this and I have experienced those times myself. It's during these heavy winds of storm and uncertainty that we need more than ever to cling to God and to remember Who He is. We may not understand the reason for the wind or see the purpose that He has in mind for us, but we do know that we can trust God's character and His goodness. In Psalm 73:26, the Psalmist said, "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Instead of giving up, leaning over, becoming uprooting and lifeless, let's let God be our strength! Let's weather the storms and winds with His grace and peace so that we can be upright, bright, and blooming for His glory and for His pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment