Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Snort!

Aaron has a cold right now.  We all feel bad when Aaron has a cold, and it's not just because we feel badly for Aaron - although we really are sorry that he's sick.  It's just that - well, the main reason we feel bad when Aaron has a cold is that - how do I say it?  Aaron doesn't like to blow his nose and so he.................snorts.  It's just one of the grossest things ever, honestly.

Aaron takes his colds very seriously.  I could tell on Sunday that he was sounding stopped up.  He told me that his throat was sore, so I knew that my hunch was correct - a cold.  Great.  Later that evening, as we were driving to pick up some Taco Bell for supper, Aaron started talking about his cold.  "Mom, where did I get this cold?"  I told him what I've told him every time he's had a cold for the past couple of decades.............all about viruses, how we come in contact with them, how they enter our bodies, etc.  I don't know why I bother, though, because he always asks the same question - "So how did the virus come into my body last night while I slept?"  He thinks that because he woke up with the cold symptoms that the virus crept into his body while he slept and BAM - he has a cold. 

I let him stay home from his group on Monday because he wasn't feeling well.   All day long I listened to him say, "I don't feel well. (snort)"    Over and over and over and over and over..................sigh.  And then to be sure I got it, he came into my bedroom and said, "I'm not still feeling well! (snort)"

Aaron, honey, I got it.  You don't feel well.........and you don't like to blow your nose.  So now I don't feel so well either.

I don't know why Aaron won't blow his nose.  That's right up there with not wanting to get his lips messy when he eats.  Do you know how you keep your lips from getting messy when you eat?  You use your TEETH to get the food off of your fork or spoon.  Do you know how incredibly annoying it is to hear someone get food off their utensil by scraping it on their teeth?  Come to our house and you can find out.  We tell Aaron to quit scraping the fork on his teeth, and so then he eats slower.  He slowly scrapes the fork over his teeth, with his lips parted rather weirdly.  Now the awful noise is somewhat quieter, but longer.  And he looks so funny that I start laughing...........which makes him forget to eat slowly and we're back to the loud scraping sound again.  Oh joy!

I guess Aaron doesn't like the act of blowing his nose or the feel of blowing his nose or the mess it makes.......I don't know.  This morning he came thumping downstairs while I was on the computer and he sat on the floor beside me.  "Mom, I don't feel well. (snort)" 

I know, Aaron.  You still have your cold, huh?    "Yeah. (snort)  I'm not still feeling well. (snort)" 

Aaron, here's a kleenex.  You really need to blow your nose. 

He took the kleenex, balled it up, and WIPED his nose.  (snort).   

Aaron, I said to BLOW your nose!!   Whereupon I handed him another kleenex, then took one for myself, and proceeded to once again demonstrate how to blow your nose........by blowing MY nose. 

He wiped his nose again.  (snort)  AAHHHH!!!

He came home from his group yesterday and said, "Mom, I still have my cold. (snort)"  

I know, Aaron.  He told me that they went to Wal-Mart.   "I got a Cheddar Pasta Salad. (snort)  But I lost my taste for things. (snort)"

Yeah, Aaron.............I'm losing my taste for things, too.  (he snorts)

Later he was talking again about the sorrow of getting his favorite Cheddar Pasta Salad but not being able to taste it.   He said, "The taste of it felt like it was nasty. (snort)"

Well, I can tell you what else is nasty, Aaron.  (snort)   I need earplugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment