Thursday, February 2, 2012

Psalm 46

Today on the radio I heard David Jeremiah talking about those times that we come to God with such heavy hearts that we don't really even know what to say, and so we just ask Him to speak to us in a special way.  I guess hearing him say that has caused me to think today about one of the most meaningful times that I did just that.

In May of 2000, my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer.  He went through months of grueling chemotherapy and radiation, and was doing very well.  After four years we were all resting easier about his condition, praising God for His healing hand on Dad. 

I'll never forget the day in early November of 2004 when our phone rang.  It was my mom and dad calling me from West Virginia.  Some routine blood work that had been done a few weeks earlier had shown that some of his levels weren't quite right.  On the phone that day, he and mom broke the news to me that a liver scan had shown that Dad had liver cancer.  It was inoperable, but chemo was once again an option.  However, we knew that this was very serious and possibly terminal. 

None of our family was expecting this news.  We were all devastated, of course, and so sad on many levels.  The next morning after receiving this awful news, I sat at the table with my coffee and my Bible.  I was trying to find the motivation to work on a Bible study I was doing, but my heart wasn't in that.  Finally, I just called out to God and said, "Oh God, You know that I am so sad and so hurt over Dad.  Please, Lord, I need to hear from You right now.  Please speak to me."

I opened my Bible randomly.  I had nothing marked, nothing stuck in the pages of my Bible that would have caused it to open where it did.  I looked down to where I had opened it and saw Psalm 46.  This was a special Psalm to my extended family.  Verse one says, "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."  Beside that verse I had written, "'Dad, cancer: 2000."  Then verse 10 is my mother's verse: "Be still and know that I am God."  I had her name written beside that verse.

It was a very special time of worship for me that morning.  I said, "Oh, thank you Lord, for reminding me of Who You were to all of us during Dad's cancer in 2000 and of Who You still are today!"  And so I added the date of 2004 to that verse as a reminder of this wonderful word once again from God. 

It was a Friday morning and I knew that back in West Virginia, Dad was at the Men's Prayer Breakfast that he always attended.  That meant that Mom would be alone, and so she and I could really talk.  I called her and for a few minutes we talked and cried together.  Then I said, "Mom, God did the most amazing thing this morning.  I asked Him to speak to me and so I opened my Bible..............."   But Mom interrupted me before I could say anything else. 

She said, "Wait!  Don't tell me!  Was it Psalm 46?"

And I replied, "Well, yes, but how did you know that?"

And she said, "Yesterday when we got home from the doctor, your dad went back into the bedroom and stayed there a long time.  When he came out I asked what he was doing, and he told me that he was reading Psalm 46." 

Oh wow!  God was reaching down to us, so many miles apart, and showing us that He was there.......that He was aware of our need and of our hurt........that He hadn't forgotten us..............that He truly was a PRESENT help in our trouble. 

God gave us four more wonderful years with Dad.  We would often say to each other, "Remember Psalm 46!" 



What a faithful and awesome God we serve!

1 comment:

  1. OK why did you not furnish the Kleenex???

    ReplyDelete