Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Hair Raising

Aaron has always noticed people's hair.  Well, he notices everything about people that he sees - but some of his hair comments over the years have been funny.............except when it gets a little too personal, which with Aaron it usually does.

Aaron loves looking at our pictures from our wedding or our early years of marriage.  Any time he starts talking about "back then"................then I know I'm probably going to hear something about my age, my weight, or my hair. "Mom, your hair was smooth back then."  I cannot tell you how many times I've heard Aaron talk about my smooth hair "back then" and I still am not totally sure what he's referring to.  I think it's smooth now but somehow he sees it differently.  I'm really hoping he doesn't come across the pictures of my perm days when I looked like a sheep.  Seriously hoping that I can keep those unnoticed!

When he says "back then" in reference to Gary, it's usually the amount of hair that Aaron notices.  "Dad, back then you had more hair."  Gary thinks that poetic justice is smiling upon him now because Aaron has the same thinning hair on top that Gary has.  HA!  Gary doesn't say that to Aaron, but I know he's thinking it. 

Mr. Z, too, who was Aaron's teacher for 3 years at the day school in Goddard, was often the brunt of Aaron's observations concerning hair - or the lack thereof.  I wonder how many times Aaron called Tom by the respectful name of Mr. Baldy?  Thank you, Tom, for your understanding.  But not so understanding was another teacher whom Aaron introduced us to by saying, "She looks like a hedgehog, doesn't she?!"  Read about it in my earlier blog - The Introduction.  Well, her spiked hair was very interesting to Aaron and he calls it as he sees it.  That was a shining moment for us, let me tell you!

When Aaron sees someone with red hair, he tells us about that person he saw that has orange hair.  And blonds really have yellow hair, according to Aaron.  That actually is more accurate than red and blond.........or maybe I'm growing to think more and more like Aaron as time goes on.

One day I was in the process of fixing my hair when Aaron knocked on my door.  The reason he knocked is because it was locked.  Usually he just barges in, which is why I often keep it locked.  Anyway, my hair was pretty much standing on end, similar to a long-haired hedgehog, when I opened the door.  Aaron didn't even act like he noticed my hair, but as he whisked past me he muttered, "Bad hair day!"  Excuse me?

He even notices the hair that is no longer on our heads, like the day he commented, "Mom, some of Andrea's hair leaked out on the bathroom counter!"  Andrea still hasn't gotten that leaky hair fixed!

And tonight he had a new one.  After supper he was talking about his Star Wars game that he's been playing and how one of the women did this and that.  And then he said, "You know, she's the one who has the old hair!" 

Old hair?  Of course, if hair is gray or white it's because it's old hair, at least according to Aaron.  We'll explain someday that this isn't always the case, but not now.  He was also excited to tell us that her hair came down beside her ears - he was using hand motions to explain it to us - and then said, "She had braces hanging down!"

Later he showed me a picture.  The woman had braids! 

I didn't think old hair and braces really went together anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment