Friday, June 1, 2012

Those Roosters!

Aaron has always been greatly interested in the fact that during part of Gary's childhood, he lived in the country on a small farm.  They had a garden, of course............nearly everyone did.  And they had some animals.........some chickens, a few cows.........you know, just a nice country setting in the mountains of North Carolina.  Every now and then, Aaron will talk once more about Dad living on a farm when he was young.  He wants to know what it was like, what animals they had, what did they grow, etc.  In fact, just the other night at supper he was talking about it once again.  He just really is fascinated with that aspect of Gary's life.

This morning, Aaron was talking to me as I got ready and he said, "Mom, Dad lived on a farm when he was young, right?"

Yes, Aaron, he lived on a farm.

And he continued: "I told John at Paradigm that Dad was a farmer!"

I envisioned John thinking that Aaron's Dad had been a farmer like a Kansas farmer, with thousands of acres.

So I reminded Aaron that it was a small farm, and he asked, "So what do SMALL farmers do?"

And I had to explain the difference in being a small farmer and being a big farmer, wondering all along why this subject holds so much interest for Aaron.  I guess he just can't imagine his Dad hanging out with cows, or pigs, or chickens.

As if to prove my point, Aaron then asked, "Mom, did Dad have roosters?"

I said that yes, I am sure they had some roosters.

"Mom, you know what I don't like about roosters?"

What don't you like about roosters, Aaron?

"I don't like the way they act in the mornings!"

I allowed myself a loud cackle at that statement!  So funny!  Aaron reminded me that Aunt Sandra's neighbor has roosters and that they are TOO loud in the mornings!

So we need to see if before our next trip home, someone can straighten up those rooster's morning behavior! Get on it, Sandra!

No comments:

Post a Comment