Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Right or Wrong

So often Aaron's honesty in his comments can nearly take our breath away............sometimes because we're fighting the desire to speak as honestly with him as he does with us..........or because we're laughing so hard.  He just doesn't seem to "get it."  Or just doesn't care.  It's hard to tell with Aaron.

Aaron likes to read at night before he goes to bed.  It's actually the only time during the day that he will sit down and read a book.  We've tried and tried to get him to read at other times during the day, but in Aaron's rigid world the time for reading is only at night.  He has his bed just right, with pillows here and pillows there..........and always his back scratcher by his side..........don't ask my why.  He will read one of his Handy Answer Books until he gets sleepy.  The other night I walked in to tell him good night and there he was, with his opened Handy Answer Book on his lap............and leaning over with his eyes closed.  Good grief!  He looked like a dead body, honestly, which can be a little shocking to this tired mom at the end of the day.  At any time of day, actually........but I certainly react differently when I'm tired.

I touched him and he stirred, so I said, "Aaron, you need to close your book and go to bed.  You're falling asleep while you're sitting up."  And of course, he had one more small section to read because he just HAD to finish that certain part.  He read it quickly and then packed it up and went to bed.

The next day I told him that he needed to start his bedtime routine earlier.  He has been trying to do this.........trying to start reading earlier so that he can read longer and still go to sleep earlier.  On Saturday evening, during supper, he said, "Mom, you know how you told me to start reading early and then going to sleep?"

Yes, Aaron.  I remember telling you that.

"Well, you're either right or you're wrong."

That was it.  He just had to tell me that I was either right or wrong about that subject.  The jury was still out on this matter, according to Aaron, and he wasn't sure if my advice was working for him or not.  Gary, Andrea, and I had to laugh at how matter-of-fact he was.

Right or wrong.  The end.

The other night he said something that I know all kids would love to say to their parents.  He asked me a certain question about something and as I was thinking of how to answer him, I said, "Well, Aaron, it's hard to explain."

And he said, "Oh come on, Mom!  Just tell me without explaining!"

Hmmmmm.............now wouldn't that just cut out a lot of MY words and leave more time for Aaron to talk?!

That seems right or wrong to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment