Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Walk in the Park

Andrea was home again for part of the weekend.  I know her days of living this close are soon to be over, so we  enjoy every weekend spent with her. Our weather has been beautiful and so sometimes she and I will slip out for a walk with Jackson in the park.  We try to slip out because, sad to say, we don't want Aaron to go with us, usually.  That sounds mean, perhaps, but when he's with us he will monopolize the conversation and we don't get to chatter between us like we love to do.

Yesterday, though, Andrea told me that we should take Aaron.  She really does miss him and that warms my heart.  I asked Aaron if he wanted to go on a walk with us as we took Jackson to the park, and he was just very excited. He hurried and got his shoes and socks on, and off we went.  Aaron sat in the middle seat of the van with Jackson right behind him, breathing heavily with his own doggie excitement.  "Mom, Jackson is breathing in my face.  His breath doesn't smell good.  Do you think his breath smells good?"

Well, Aaron , you're the one who asks me nearly every day if Jackson can go with us when we drop you off to your group - so now you just sit back and enjoy your time with the dog.  I was already enjoying myself very much.





Swanson Park was green and pretty, with some puddles here and there from our early morning rain.  Lots of people were out and many were walking their dogs.  Jackson loves other dogs and so he was delighted, and sometimes a little hesitant, to meet all his four-legged friends that crossed our path.  Aaron, on the other hand, was a little nervous about the other dogs.  When he would see a family approaching us with a dog, he would say (loudly), "Oh No!"  I'm sure those that heard Aaron's exclamation wondered what was wrong, so Andrea and I kept having to tell Aaron to be quiet.  Several people stopped us to talk and to let our dogs meet each other, which gave Aaron the opportunity he loves...............talking!

"This is a Great Dane!" he would say..........as if most people don't know that already when they see this 198 pound giant of a dog.  "What kind of dog do you have?  Do you think they like each other?"  And of course, "Look!  They're sniffing each other!"   Some dogs were playful and would get a little frisky, which made Aaron nervous again.  "Is your dog mean?  Is he going to bite?"

Aaron talked about the graffiti that we saw painted here and there, to us and to many of the people that we passed.  How many times did Andrea and I say, "Come on, Aaron.  Let's go!"  Off we would go again, and soon Aaron would repeat what we heard all during our walk:

"Mom, am I losing weight from walking?"

"Mom, have I lost weight from walking?"

"Mom, look!  My shirt won't stay tucked in.  I've lost weight!"  

Good grief, Aaron, just tuck your shirt in, pull your pants up, and keep walking.  Trust me, weight loss does not come that easily.

As we finished our walk and neared the van, Aaron asked, "Mom, is Jackson tired?  His tongue is a lot lower than it was."  And as we got ready to get in the van, "Mom, Jackson gassed!"

Well, let's be glad that Jackson gassed outside the van, Aaron, instead of inside!  Besides, we have enough hot air inside already.............believe me!

No comments:

Post a Comment