Friday, April 6, 2012

A Morning With Happy Aaron

Aaron was happy this morning, which means he was compliant about getting ready and then very talkative after his shower.  I enjoy the mornings when he comes in the bathroom while I'm putting on my make-up and just sits there talking to me.  It's so interesting to listen to him and through his talking, be able to see into his thinking.  I decided to share with you a little of my morning with Aaron.

I never know if he'll get off the computer in time to shower well, or at all, or if he'll be grouchy about it.  This morning he was in a good mood and got himself off the computer with no fuss.  In his bathroom, I heard the water running and then heard Aaron singing "Jimmy Crack Corn."  Yes......he was singing "Jimmy Crack Corn."  He later told me, "Mom, that song is old, right?"   Yes, Aaron, it's a very old song but a good song to sing..........and you sang it very well.  He was pleased with that critique.

But, Aaron, did you really shower well?  Of course he says yes to that, but I told him that his hair didn't look so hot.  "I washed my hair, Mom,!  I just didn't wash it long.  I was in a hurry!"  Yep, there was a lot more singing than showering going on this morning!  Ugh!

I asked him how he slept last night.  His answer:  "Kinda well.  I went to sleep at 11:24 and got up at 7:30."   We talked about getting off the computer at night and not reading so long and why does his stomach hurt in the morning and then:  "Mom, I didn't know that dog's eyes glow.  I thought only cat's eyes glow."  So we transitioned into the glowing eyes of animals.  Which led to:  "Oh Mom!  Yesterday I saw the toad for the fourth time!  Does he like the cold?  Why is he out in the cold and the rain?" 

With Aaron, it's around and around he goes, and where he lands nobody knows.  I've learned to transition with ease.......most of the time.  His next subject:  "Mom, yesterday we were sitting on the upper top of the east mall and I saw a make-up store."  A make-up store?  "Yeah.  You know - a store that sells make-up.  And there was a woman that works there putting make-up on her OWN self!"  He thought it was odd that she would put powder on her OWN self and she was looking in a mirror and why did she need to look in a mirror?  I was hoping that Aaron didn't go into the make-up store and stand there staring at her, like he does in the nail salons, but he said that he did not go in the make-up store because he thought it would smell funny..............which led to:  "Mom, I don't like going in shoe stores.  You know why?" 
No, Aaron, but I have a feeling you're about to tell me.  "It's because they smell funny, too."  And we had to figure out why shoe stores smell funny and make-up stores smell funny and nail salons, too.

Today is movie day and so he said, "Mom, have you ever noticed that at the theater in the area in front of you is the popcorn and in the other area behind that is the popcorn popper?  I told Krysten that I wish my Mom had that big popcorn popper!  Would you want that much popcorn?" 

No, Aaron, but I'm sure you would.  And I found out that, yes, Aaron would love that much popcorn and why don't I want that big popcorn popper and why is the one we have now enough and am I SURE I don't want that big popcorn popper that's in that area at the theater behind the popcorn? 

We talked about many other things as we left the house and drove to meet his group.  "Mom, what happened to the warmness?  I thought it was spring."  The warmness will come back, Aaron, believe me!  And he ended by listening carefully to the Lion King CD as we drove and deciding that a particular character is really a baboon but is he a wizard because "doesn't he do things in the wizard way?"  When we pulled up to the van holding his group, Aaron continued to talk.  He always does, and Cody waits patiently for Aaron to finish.  Aaron must finish or Aaron isn't happy and we all want Aaron to be happy.

And besides, what he says is very interesting and insightful and funny and I am reminded to be thankful that our autistic son can talk. 

Some days not so much, but today was a day to listen and learn and follow Aaron's ever-so-fascinating mind.  So far.  We'll see what the second half of the day holds! 

No comments:

Post a Comment