Monday, October 10, 2011

Joking With Aaron

In case you don't know by now, I enjoy laughter.  I can be as serious as the next person, but I come from a family that has always been full of humor, laughter, and joy.  We pulled tons of practical, innocent jokes when I was growing up - many of them at my dear Dad's expense.  And he loved it!  My mother is the Queen of Puns, and still her humor shows through her progressing age issues. 

One aspect of Asperger's Syndrome is that these individuals often do not understand jokes, irony, or metaphors.  Aaron is no exception.  He does better now than he used to at understanding jokes or other's sense of humor, but it's still a challenge for him.  A conversation between us a few months ago illustrates this point very well. 

We were driving to meet his group and Aaron excitedly said to me, "Mom!  Yesterday in Wal-Mart I saw a woman that looked just like you, and I thought it was you!!"   Deciding to make a little funny joke, I said, "So Aaron, she must have been real skinny and pretty."   He looked at me in disbelief, gave a "Humpf", and said, "I said she looked like YOU!!!" 

I'm thankful for the good sense of humor God has given me.  Thick skin helps, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment