Monday, December 15, 2014

Exodus: They Didn't Do It the Right Way!



Aaron has been very excited over the past few weeks to see the movie trailers for the new Moses movie – Exodus: Gods and Kings.  The movie meets several important criteria in order to stir Aaron’s interest:  Loud…..large…..loaded with exciting scenes……for starters.  Now, we’ve told Aaron over the years that most movies based on the Bible are not accurate.  He thinks, then, that we mean those movies are bad.  So we’ve had long discussions……..looooonnngg discussions……with him over this issue.  We have told him that we just need to be discerning and wise, and don’t take the movie as being totally true.  Just pay attention to the details.

Well, Aaron did just that this past Friday when his day group went to see the new Exodus movie.   He charged through the door at the end of his day, finding me right there nearby as I folded some laundry. 

“MOM!!” he yelled as if I was way out in the back yard instead of just a few feet away.  “We went to see Exodus:  Gods and Kings!!” 

 
And with that, he bent over and began rubbing his hands together rapidly…..a true sign of great excitement.  And I asked a silly question.  I asked Aaron if he liked the movie.  Duh.

“YES!!” he yelled again, his hands producing great friction at this point. 

And then he paused, and his hands became still.  I continued folding laundry as I waited for the next shoe to drop……although Aaron would think I was weird for saying that because he was not holding a pair of shoes.  Literal Aaron, you know.

So in a much softer voice, Aaron continued.  “Well, that movie wasn’t all the way right.”  I asked how it wasn’t right.  “Well,” he said….(he likes using the word ‘well’ ), “it just didn’t always do things the way the Bible says.”

When I asked for an example, he became more animated as he said, “Well, in the burning bush in the movie, God was a little child.  The Bible doesn’t say that God showed up as a little child.”

I agreed with his assessment about the burning bush, and we talked about how God spoke out of the burning bush.

Aaron continued.  “And Aaron didn’t act rude like he did in the Bible!”

Rude?  So my Aaron explained, “You know how Aaron acted rude when Moses came down from the mountain?”

Oh yes, rude……as in building the golden calf?

“Yes!!” Aaron……my Aaron……agreed.  He said the movie didn’t show Aaron being rude.  In fact, my Aaron said that the Bible Aaron wasn’t even in the Exodus movie.   I don’t know…..I haven’t seen the movie.  I only know what Aaron said……my Aaron. 

Later, at supper, Andrea called and right away Aaron just had to tell her about the movie he saw.  It wasn’t long before Andrea, Gary, and I were all in stitches as Aaron told her about the Exodus movie and how wrong it was.  “ANDREA!!  GOD WASN’T A BUSH!!”  And on and on he went, rubbing his hands together now because our laughter was egging him on.  He was really getting into all this Biblical inaccuracy stuff!

Later, after the phone call, he continued.  “Guess what?” he asked.  “When Moses came down from the mountain with the commandments, he only had ONE tablet, not TWO!!”

So I checked the book of Exodus, and lo and behold…..the Bible does say that Moses had TWO tablets.  Way to go, Aaron……my Aaron.

“And you know what else?” he went on.  “There were only EIGHT commandments in the movie!!”

“How do you know there were only eight?” I foolishly asked.

“Because I COUNTED them!!” he replied.

Of course he counted them.  That’s exactly what Aaron…..my Aaron…..would be doing as he sat there stuffing popcorn….and maybe the napkins…..into his mouth.  He would definitely be counting the ten commandments that were missing two.

Well, as my Aaron would say, we had many a discussion for the rest of Friday and for most of Saturday about the Exodus movie…..the burning bush…..how God spoke……the plagues…..the fact that Moses was happy when the Bible said he was angry…..

Oh, and how wrong the movie was about the Red Sea coming back together because Moses was still in the water and had to swim to land.  “Moses didn’t SWIM in the Bible in the Red Sea!!!” he exclaimed.

I think that Aaron has processed the movie to his mind’s content now.  Maybe.  And I am amazed at how much of the Biblical story he remembered, and remembered correctly.  That’s the most exciting part to Gary and to me. 

Aaron….my Aaron…..said it very well on Saturday when he ended it all (maybe) by talking about Hollywood. 

“They were doing their own way to a movie!” he surmised.

And I totally agree with Aaron’s wisdom! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment