Thursday, July 3, 2014

Good Job, Aaron!



I was so proud of Aaron this morning.  He’s on a new medicine and it’s one that has hit him full force with sleepiness.  He’s gone from usually getting up in the morning between 5:00 and 6:00 to sleeping until sometimes after 8:00.  He would be much more precise than that with the time, as you know, but I won’t tell him that I wasn’t.  He came downstairs this morning a little before 8:00, barely able to keep his eyes open and asking if he really had to go to his day group.  I sensed a rough morning ahead.

He took his pills and I carried his coffee upstairs, keeping the conversation light and free of conflict.  Conflict can come easily enough when Aaron is tired and not feeling well.  My heart went out to him and I wanted to just say that he could stay at home, but I knew better.  He sometimes snaps out of these very tired moments and so I wanted to give that possibility a chance.  Plus today is his last day for the week since tomorrow is a holiday…….and today is mall day, which he usually enjoys.  He enjoys it because of all the food choices there, but at least he goes and has fun.  

Today I’m leaving for a trip to Houston to spend the long weekend with Andrea.  I had lots to do this morning, so I left Aaron with his hopeful thoughts of getting to stay home as I headed for the garden.  Finally finishing there, I went upstairs to shower.  As I walked up the stairs I heard a noise.  There was Aaron, sprawled across his bed, snoring to beat the band.  I was pretty certain then that Paradigm would be a no-go today.

Later, to my surprise, Aaron walked in my room and asked again if he had to go to Paradigm.  He was more awake now and still not in a bad mood.  I told him to shower, which he agreed to do, and as he left the room he reminded me that today was mall day for Paradigm……if he HAD to go.  Here WE go, I thought.  But still the eruption didn’t occur.  He was mulling his options, though, but not hateful….yet.

Soon I heard him thump up the hall with purpose………and I was soon to discover what that purpose was.   He looked at me and hopefully asked, “Mom, today since we’re going to the mall, can I have extra money?”  

“How much do you need for pizza?” I asked.

The look on his face was priceless as he quickly formulated his response.  “Well,” he slowly said, “sometimes it’s 15.”

We stood there staring at each other as I enjoyed the look on his face, and as he hoped I would believe him.  Then I laughed, and laughed some more………and he didn’t even get angry at my laughter as he sometimes does.  He knew that I wasn’t buying the story of pizza that’s sometimes 15, so he turned and walked away as I chuckled some more.

He was very happy when Gary, who is off today, offered to take him to meet his group.  Having Dad take him is a treat!  He loves time with Gary, so before they left Gary showed him the caterpillars in our tree.



Then they climbed in the truck and I got one last goodbye hug.  I told him that I would tell Andrea he said hi and he gave his low laugh…..meaning that he agreed with my doing that, but he would never ever offer that gesture himself.  


Every day with Aaron is both full of sameness and yet full of diversity.  We never know what mood he will be in or how he’ll be feeling or what he’ll say.  We definitely never know what all he’ll say!  Like yesterday on the way to Paradigm, when we passed by the sign outside of Dillon’s that announced the fact that they have barbecued ribs for sale.  There hung the ribs sign, with a wooden pig hanging on it. 

And Aaron, who never misses anything, said, “Mom, are ribs really made of pig?”

Yep, Aaron…..those particular ribs are really made of pig.

And many of my days are really made much more fun and funny because they’re made of life with Aaron.  Other days…..not so much.  But we take them both because he is ours and he is what God made him to be.

See you Sunday, Aaron.   You and Dad have fun while I’m gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment