Monday, July 28, 2014

Eating Poison



Every time I get a phone call from Andrea, no matter where I may try to hide so that I can talk in peace, Aaron finds me.  He bugs me to pieces wanting to talk to his sister.  She’s so patient and kind to him as they talk, with Aaron doing most of the talking.  And most of the time, he talks to her about movies that he has seen or is going to see or wants to see.  Then he asks her if she has seen said movie or is going to see it or wants to see it.  

He recently talked to her about the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie coming out on August 8.  He wanted to know if she had heard about it and was she going to see it and did she want to see it.  Then he asked her about Shredder……did she remember the old Shredder from the cartoons years ago………had she seen the new Shredder that was coming out in this new movie……..and since she had not seen the new Shredder, then he told her that she needed to look at the movie trailer and see the new Shredder.  

This past Saturday, just as Aaron and I were finishing a game of Skip-Bo, my cell phone rang.  I looked down to see that it was Andrea just as Aaron very excitedly blurted out, “Is that Andrea?!  Can I talk to her?!  Can I?  Just for a minute, Mom?  Can I talk to her?”

I answered the phone in the middle of Aaron’s questioning, so Andrea heard him asking something and she started laughing.  “Is he asking if I’ve seen Shredder?” she asked.  I told her he was, and she laughingly told me that just before she called, she remembered that he wanted her to watch the trailer.  So she had quickly watched the trailer just before calling.  Therefore, Shredder and all the other turtle characters were fresh on her mind as I handed her the phone.  I could hear her laughing, and of course, hear and watch Aaron’s very excited conversation.  It made me smile to listen to the two of them.  

Andrea is so patient and attentive to Aaron as he talks.  You would think she was talking to a colleague about genetic testing or virus samples or research that she’s doing in the lab.  But talking about Shredder or ninja turtles or when the movie comes out seems every bit as important to her as any lab conversation.  And Aaron eats it up! 


Aaron also talked to her about the movie he’s watching at home now…..King Kong.  “Andrea, would you say King Kong is a monkey?” he asked.  Then he was off and running, and I heard Andrea laughing yet again while trying to answer his every question.

Oh, and there was one more movie he mentioned.  Purge.  It’s a movie that just recently came out.  Aaron and I saw the trailer for it when we went to see Godzilla.  Purge looks very violent and dark, and Aaron has been interested in it since seeing the trailer.  A couple weeks ago his group went to see another movie and Aaron was quite upset that he didn’t get to see Purge.  We have told him he won’t be seeing that movie, which makes him want to see it all the more.  Typical Aaron.

As Aaron told me all about wanting to see Purge on the day he didn’t get to see it with his group, I tried and tried to make him understand how we felt about that movie.  Finally I said, “Aaron, what if I handed you some poison and told you to eat it?”  He said that would be bad.  I told him that watching Purge would be like eating poison…….it would be bad for him.  He seemed to understand and went on his way.

Here is what he said to Andrea as he brought up the Purge movie:

“Andrea, Mom said how about if you go watch Purge, I feed you some poison?”

WHAT??!!

Which is what I think I heard Andrea say through her laughter.

So if Aaron has told any of you reading this that I said I would feed him poison if he goes to see Purge, I do hope this clears up your shock.  

Maybe that’s why Paradigm didn’t let him go watch it.  Hmmm…….    

No comments:

Post a Comment