Sunday, April 20, 2014

Does That Sound Indian?


Some of you will remember how Aaron used to have some staff at his day group that were African.  I mean, really from Africa, complete with accents.  This, of course, really fascinated Aaron.  He is instantly drawn to anything out of the norm……..at least out of his norm.  Over a period of time, most of these individuals went on their way to other jobs.  Therefore I was surprised one day when Aaron started telling me that his new driver who brought him home at the end of the day was African.  I questioned him several times about it, but each time he declared that she was definitely African.  I asked him her name, and he couldn’t come up with that small detail……..so African it was.

One day he had me come out to meet her when she dropped him off.  And there behind the steering wheel, grinning broadly, was the most oriental young woman there could ever be.  Turns out she was from Viet-Nam and her name was pronounced “Twe.” 

African, Aaron?  Seriously?  She laughed with delight when I told her where Aaron thought she was from. 

Well, this weekend Aaron is all about another culture.  Indian.  Don’t ask me why.

Unless it’s because he often sits Indian style on his favorite chair in the family room while we watch Wheel of Fortune, or while he watches other programs.   He moans and carries on sometimes when he unwinds himself from the chair after he’s through with his program.  He laughs at his stiff legs and talks about how he likes to sit like an Indian.

On Saturday morning, Aaron was walking around the kitchen “singing” in his rather monotone voice: “Da-da-da-dum.  Da-da-da-dum.  Da-da-da-dum.  Da-da-da-dum.”  Over and over again, until I started laughing.

“Does that sound Indian?” he asked. 

“Not exactly,” I answered.

“It’s from Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.  Not Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Sith Lords, but just Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic,” he explained.

I was pondering the Indian/Star Wars connection when he moved right on to pizza.  I tried to follow.

“Mom, have you ever eaten at that pizza place in the mall?”

I told him I had not.

“They have INDIAN pizza!!” he exclaimed with great excitement.

“Really?” I asked

“Yes!!” he replied.  “It has PINEAPPLE on it!!”

Realizing I might be mistaken, but uncertain now of an Indian/pineapple pizza connection, I ventured to ask if Aaron meant Hawaiian.

“Yeah!” he blurted out.  “Hawaiian!”

I didn’t have time to ask him if he thinks that Hawaiians are Indians like I think he means Indian, because he turned to head upstairs to take his shower.  On his way out of the family room, he remembered to tell me one more thing…….about a movie that I don’t care for.

“Mom, Brian at Paradigm likes that movie, but you don’t like that movie.”

I agreed with that last part.

“You’re strange,” he said flatly as he left the room and went up the stairs.

I wanted to tell him that was the pot calling the kettle black, but Aaron doesn’t get those comparisons at all.  I’m not a pot and he’s not a kettle, thank you very much.

Besides, the last time I said it, he looked at me like I was………well………strange. 

Why prove his point even further?  

Talk to you later, Aaron.

No comments:

Post a Comment