Thursday, February 27, 2014

My Own Words


This will be short and sweet, which should make all of you dear faithful readers very:

1.       Surprised

2.     Happy

I know that’s silly, but I wanted to take up a little more space somehow.  And I’m feeling somewhat giddy with relief because Aaron just had a root canal, and he did fabulous.  I’m thankful that he’s such a great patient, usually.  I won’t go into the time he bit the dental hygienist. 

Anyway, you know how I often talk about the things that Aaron teaches me, either through:

1.       His actions

2.     His sayings

HaHa!  There I go again. 

So last night, during Wheel of Fortune, I was pretty well zoning out on what Aaron was saying because it involved his latest movie that he’s watching……..Fantastic Four.  How many different ways can I tell him who Doom is, or what Doom does, or what the word ‘doom’ means, or how Doom dies?  How long can I act interested in this topic of Doom? 

Somehow Aaron transitioned into telling me that he repeated something that he heard a client say at his day group.  I really don’t even remember exactly what it all was, but I did tell Aaron that he didn’t need to say it just because someone else said it, even if they told him to say it.  If it’s inappropriate or impolite or rude, then don’t speak the words…..at all, even if someone else says it.  Do the right thing, etc., etc.  I thought my lecture was profound……until I heard Aaron’s concise statement, spoken as he walked past me to go into the kitchen for another snack. 

“So you’re saying that I should live on my own words?” he casually asked.

Well……yeah.  I was left speechless as I heard him scrounging in the frig for some cheese. 

Live on my own words.  Wow!

Being responsible…..wise……careful with my speech.  Not repeating what others say, and thinking twice about what I say before I say it.  Not living or speaking because of the influence of others or the influence of our culture.  I could go on and on, but I won’t.

Living on my own words.  Think about that.
Thanks, Aaron!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment