Friday, February 7, 2014

Confucius Say..........


Aaron has been home for three days because of the big snow we had.  When Wichita schools are closed then his day group is closed as well.  Plus I wouldn’t have wanted him out on these very dangerous roads.  It’s really been fun to be snowed in together……for the most part.  He has been very happy to watch movies, or watch movie clips on his computer; he’s been happy to play computer games; he’s been happy to watch his taped Law and Order episodes; he’s been happy to eat tons of peanuts; and he’s been happy to just enjoy time with me.

Of course, I’ve had to adjust to having Aaron repeatedly ask me questions. 

Mom, what are you doing?

Mom, what’s for lunch?

Mom, what are you doing now?

Mom, can we play Tri-Ominos?

Mom, are you watching Wheel of Fortune?

Mom, what are you doing now?

Mom, can I take a nap?

Mom, do you think we can play a game tonight?

Mom, now what are you doing?

Mom, what’s for supper?

Mom, did you say you could watch Wheel of Fortune?

Mom, what are you doing?

In fact, Aaron saw this Baby Blues cartoon yesterday and said, “Mom, look!  This is like I do to you!”   Is it ever!
 

On his first snowed-in morning, I looked in the family room and saw Aaron in the perfect lazy day posture.  He had the right idea from the very start.  That morning, I fixed him French Toast and even cut it into little squares the way he likes.  He had coffee and watched his taped program, and struggled not to slip Jackson pieces of yummy French Toast. 
 

Later, for lunch, I fixed us a pizza and we ate while we played Tri-Ominos.  Once again, Jackson wanted in on the action.  And Aaron had his silverware that he never used, and his toothpicks, and his napkins, and his bowl in which he put his pepperoni – which he later ate separately.  Don’t ask me why.  And if all these things sound familiar to you long-time readers……..welcome to my world, where I am surrounded by the familiar and the routine EVERY SINGLE day.  I just want you to feel like you’re a part of my world.

You’re welcome.   J

 
 
Yesterday, Aaron and I ventured out to our nearby Dillon’s.  It was nice to get out of the house.  We picked up both some necessary and some fun food.  And once again we ate lunch while we matched all the numbers in Tri-Ominos.  We played three games of Tri-Ominos over those three days.  Aaron won twice and I only won once.  Of course, this made Aaron very happy.

 
What did NOT make Aaron very happy……..not at all happy……..was how I started preparing him yesterday for his return to Paradigm today.  I knew that I could wait until Monday to send him back, but I also knew that it would be good for him to be made to go back today, on Friday.  School was back in session and the roads were passable, and I just knew that Aaron needed to be gently urged back into his routine. 

He much preferred his stay-at-home routine.  I always wonder if I make it too much fun to be at home.  I want him to enjoy time at home, and I certainly enjoy time with him (for the most part).  And deep down I know that no matter what his time at home holds for him………good or bad……….interesting or boring……….he still won’t want to get back into his “you have to get out of the house and live your life” routine. 

As is so typical of Aaron, yesterday he agreed with the fact that he would return to Paradigm on the next day.  This morning, however, he displayed his frustration by raising his voice and saying he would NOT go to Paradigm, and why can’t he just return on Monday, etc.  But I know Aaron and I know that Monday would be no better than Friday……..at least not by much.  And once I tell him that we are going to do something…….that HE is going to do something………I need to stick to my guns if at all possible. 

We exchanged some firm words.  He tried to use guilt.  “You just want rid of me!” he blurted out.  He tried to use sympathy.  “I’m tired!” he said.  He tried to use his bargaining power.  “But I’ll go on Monday, just not today!”  he continued.

He saw that I was standing firm, though, but what he couldn’t see was that inside I was nervous.  I was nervous about how angry he was going to become, for one thing.  I was hoping that I would remain firm but loving, not lashing out in anger at him if he became angry.  It’s that inward struggle that we parents have but that we can’t reveal. 

Finally, Aaron asked if we could stop at Dillon’s and let him get something to take to Paradigm.  He didn’t say that he wouldn’t go to Paradigm unless I stopped.  That would have resulted in a big no from me.  But he asked politely if we could stop, and so I said yes.  Aaron instantly calmed.  And though he was still a little grouchy when we left the house, he was for the most part compliant and happy.

I talked to Aaron awhile ago.  I don’t think he’s had the best day at Paradigm.  His mouth gets him in so much trouble, but also is what makes him so funny.  How I wish we could just balance him out!

Yesterday he said, “Mom!  I was reading about a man in my Handy History Answer book.  His name was Con-fuse-ush!”   Notice how Aaron pronounced that name.  J 

I need to change Aaron’s name.  We should have named him Con-fuse-ush……….because leaving us confused is just what he does on most days. 

“Mom, what are you doing now?”

Scratching my head, Aaron…….scratching my head.

 










No comments:

Post a Comment