Sunday, January 26, 2014

Back to Normal, For Now


This has been a wonderful weekend for Aaron, especially compared to last weekend when he was feeling so horrible with all the seizures he had.  And the weather has been pretty and warm, so he was able to get outside for his relaxing time in the mulch.  Sorry for the picture through the screen.  Aaron is getting a little tired of all the pictures that Mom wants to take, so I didn’t let him see me taking this one.  J 

He enjoyed a trip to Dillon's, where we had fun looking at pomegranates and kumquats……..and where he got to buy some of his favorite croissants (pronounced as croysants if you’re Aaron).  His eating has improved over the course of this week, but it’s been slow in coming.  And he’s been so slow all week in every way – in his movements and his speech and his eating and his thinking. 

He’s getting tired of us mentioning anything remotely to do with his health or with how he’s feeling.  Last night he got his bed ready in the meticulous way that he does.  There’s Mr. Snake, who will be moved under the covers beside Aaron when it’s time to go to sleep.  This is Aaron’s pre-sleep set-up that he has as he reads his Handy Answer Book.  He changes everything when it’s time for actually sleeping.  Routine, routine, routine.  So anyway, I mentioned something last night before I left his room that made him think I was going to talk yet again about how he was feeling.  He said, “Stop with all the how I’m feeling stuff!”  I think he’s on overload and ready to get back to normal.

He clipped all my coupons today even though there were lots of them, and he did it without taking a break.  He’s back to clapping loudly when he watches television, especially Wheel of Fortune.  Man!  Tonight I had to tell him to stop, but it felt nice to actually hear him clapping, if that makes sense.  He’s been yelling as he watches a movie in his room, and talking our ears off about the latest alien plot that he’s trying to figure out.  Annoying sometimes?  Yes.  But right now it’s a welcome sign that Aaron is back to his normal self, and we’re thankful.

We took a walk around our neighborhood circle this evening.  It was a beautiful evening for a walk, so we stopped by the lake and snapped a few pictures.  When I compare last week’s picture, taken at about this very same time of day as today’s shot, I’m very thankful for the huge difference.  

 
Aaron and I will see his autism doctor tomorrow.  We’re continuing to pray for wisdom and direction as we talk to her, and then to Aaron’s Epileptologist in February. 

And Aaron……..he’s planning where we will eat tomorrow for lunch, when he’s not talking about aliens.  I was so bogged down in aliens as we took our walk that I had to re-direct him to the first thing that came to mind, which was naming various restaurant possibilities for tomorrow.  But he’s talking, which he can’t always do after some of his seizures, so again I’m thankful. 

Sometimes the hard times change our perspective on thankfulness.  What we took for granted in the normal times becomes huge when it’s taken away, and if it’s restored then we just well up with thanks.  I know myself, and I know that I’ll end up taking things for granted or I’ll get irritated too often again as I tend to do. 

Like yesterday……when Aaron was eating lasagna………and I stepped out…….and Jackson the lucky Great Dane had a nice piece of lasagna for his lunch. 

Aaron!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment