Friday, March 29, 2013

The Testimony of Katy


A few months ago, someone on Facebook sent me a friend request.  Her name is Kiki Davis (Katy) and I soon learned that she was the daughter of our college friends, Leroy and Cathy Davis.  As I read her posts and comments, I also learned that Katy had been away from the Lord but had recently given her life to Christ again.  I also learned, just a short time ago, that Katy had a serious blood disorder that prevented her body from being able to fight infections. 

Like I said, I didn't know Katy well - but here is what I do know from the short time that Katy has been my friend.  I knew that she was very thrilled to be walking with the Lord again.  She posted many exuberant statuses about her love for God and her desire to be where - and what - He wanted her to be in every area of her life.  She admitted her weaknesses, her fears, her frustrations............but also repeatedly gave these areas to God for Him to handle.  She felt that God was calling her to something great and she was stepping out in faith and in submission to fulfill this great calling that He had placed upon her. 

This morning God fulfilled His purpose for Katy.  He did call her to something great.  Early this morning, at 5:55, He called her to heaven.  I knew that Katy was in the hospital and that she was fighting pneumonia.  I didn't know how very sick she really was.  Her body could not fight the infection and so she passed on into heaven this morning.  I was shocked to read the news.  But something soon came to my mind as I remembered how excited Katy was to realize that God had placed a call upon her life.   I'm fairly certain that she had no idea what that call would entail, but she was willing.  And I am also certain that in her death, many will be reminded of what it means to be God's child and to be sure of that fact.   I'm sure that Katy would want all of us to know that we know that we know that we are ready to step out into the eternity that awaits each of us. 

And I think that Katy would want us to be willing to let God use us, even if it's in death, to point us to what is important.  Only a life lived in and for Christ is of any value.  Katy knows that now more than ever!  Her life - and now her death - are a testimony to that truth.  Katy wanted to be a testimony and to give testimony.  She spoke of this often on Facebook.  Now she is a testimony that cannot be ignored, in a way that I'm sure she never dreamed she would be called to do.
 
I saw that Katy had posted these verses on Facebook on March 22.   "And this small and temporary trouble we suffer will bring us a tremendous and eternal glory, much greater than the trouble.  For we fix our attention, not on things that are seen, but on things that are unseen.  What can be seen lasts only for a time, but what cannot be seen lasts forever."  (2 Corinthians 4:17-18  GNT)




Katy's troubles and sufferings were temporary, and she had learned that lesson.  She knew that what can be seen and experienced on this earth lasts only for a time.........and what cannot be seen lasts forever.  Now she is enjoying a tremendous and eternal glory!  My short time of knowing Katy has enriched me and she has been that testimony to me that she so wanted to be in this life.  I'm sure that she has been that same testimony to many others as well. 

Thank you, Katy, for letting God use you..........more than you knew and in a way that you probably never expected.   Now bask in God's glory on this Easter!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment