Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Scientist Shot


I wrote a blog this morning about a surgery that Aaron had years ago and the funny nurse......but I lost it.  That is one of the most frustrating things ever!  And once I write something, and lose it, then I just can't recapture it.  I won't even try tonight since it's late and I'm getting tired.......and I'll be up early in the morning to trek over to the surgery center for my own surgery.   Rotator cuff.  I keep thinking about family and friends who have had such serious surgeries in their lives, and I know that I am very blessed to only be facing two torn tendons and a bone spur.  Remind me I said that when I'm in PT on Friday morning!

I imagine that Aaron will be very unsure about how to handle all this, especially when he sees me tomorrow evening in whatever shape I will be.  He'll still be saying, "Mom!  Mom?  Mom!"  while he stands by my bed, hoping that I will be normal and can answer him and promise to play Skip-Bo or do our backs.  He will probably show very little concern about how I'm feeling, but he will be very concerned about how my situation will impact his world.  He won't want his world to be askew in any way, and having Mom unable to function as I normally do will impact him a lot for awhile. 

I imagine, though, that once Aaron realizes that I am not able to move around as quickly as usual, then he will use the opportunity to sit and talk to me.....and talk.......and talk yet some more.  Maybe my meds will dull it somewhat.  And I don't really mean that......only a little bit.  He sure can go on and on and on about whatever is on his mind.

Like on the way to his group the other morning as he started reviewing a movie he had watched.  "Mom!  That scientist gave a shot in the scientist way.  You know that scientist way that a scientist gives shots?!"  I said yes, although I really have no idea what the scientist way of giving shots involves since I've never had a scientist give me a shot in the scientist way.........and I'm hoping that there is not a scientist anywhere near the operating room tomorrow!  That's because Aaron continued, "Mom, after that scientist gave that shot.......you know, in that scientist way...........that man became a monstrous mouse!!!!!" 

Aaron continued to talk about that monstrous mouse that developed after that scientist shot until we pulled up to meet his group.  I had to nearly push him out of the van!  That scientist shot that resulted in the monstrous mouse had certainly made an impression!  I do not want to hear this story again while I am confined after surgery, drugged or not.

This was the same morning that Aaron also said, "Mom, I read something last night that got me tired.   I was totally tired!  My eyes were falling!!!"

I think that if I have to listen to Aaron regal me with tales of scientist shots and monstrous mice and  other stories from the wild world of Aaron's genetically altered movies..........then my eyes will fall!  And since I'm already about to pay the price for one fall, I do not want to add my falling eyes to the list of my needed repairs! 

I wonder if the surgeon will write me a prescription for ear plugs?

No comments:

Post a Comment