Monday, December 31, 2012

Do You Want to See My Bruise?!


Last Friday morning, Aaron and I headed to the lab where he gets his blood work done.  His levels need to be checked since his unexpected seizure that I wrote about in my last blog........the seizure that made him fall backwards and sustain a nasty bruise on his upper back.  Aaron loves going to the lab and for that I am very thankful.  He doesn't mind needles......he never has.......and this is indeed a huge blessing.  It would be heart-rending to see him fearful of a procedure that he needs so often. 

Aaron loves time in the van with me or with Gary in his truck.  We are captive audiences, after all, and have no choice but to listen to his constant talking in the midst of whatever favorite CD he has chosen.  As we passed Walgreen's, Aaron saw the sign that asked the question:  Have You Had A Flu Shot?  Of course, Aaron felt compelled to answer this question because naturally every question deserves an answer in Aaron's mind.  And his answer must be shared with whomever is willing to listen.
 
"Mom, that sign talked about a flu shot.  Have I had a flu?"

Well, Aaron, you don't have "a flu" like you have a cold.

"So what is a flu?"  he asked.

I explained what THE flu is and why it's different from having A cold...........and realized that only with Aaron would I even notice this distinction.  It makes sense.  Why do we say THE flu and A cold?  Oh my.........I'm thinking like Aaron again!

I was rather proud of my explanation as we drove along, and then when I finished and hoped that Aaron would appreciate me for clearing up this confusion about THE flu and A cold - he said, "If I go to Burger King again, can I have a number 2?"

I was immediately jerked from Walgreen's to Burger King with the blink of an eye!  I've learned to follow Aaron as he transports quickly from topic to topic, but I still smile at the randomness of his topics.  He was still relishing his special Burger King supper with Dad the night of his seizure.  Gary was concerned that night because Aaron was confused about how to use the drink machine, an art that Aaron has perfected for sure.  His confusion was alarming to Gary.  Sometimes seizures have that effect and we wonder about long term issues.

Anyway, I laughed as I heard Aaron's question and realized that he assumed..........as always............that I would know immediately what a Burger King number 2 meal contained...........as opposed to a Wendy's meal number 2 or a McDonald's meal number 2.  Of course, Aaron has recorded this info in his brain.  Hasn't everybody??!! 

He continued, "Do you want a number 2?"  I asked him to remind me of what a Burger King meal number 2 contained before I committed.  This kept Aaron busily talking until we arrived at the clinic, parked, and began walking toward the door.  Aaron had chosen another favorite topic of late of which to chatter......Neil Armstrong.  Does Neil Armstrong have anything at all remotely to do with a Burger King meal number 2?  Of course not!!   

"Mom, I was reading about Neil Armstrong on the moon.  Did you know that when he walked on the moon he said something?"

Yes, Aaron, I knew that.

"Did you know that they didn't put an 'A' in what he said?  He really said..........."

And as we checked in to the lab and sat down, Aaron continued to inform me of what Neil Armstrong had really said and why it was so significant that "they" had left out the 'A' in what Neil Armstrong said.............and he continued in this vein (pardon the pun) until someone walked into the waiting room that I know.

Aaron perked up as I spoke to this woman whom I know.  Ah, fresh ears!  If Mom is going to talk with familiarity to this woman, then surely Aaron can, too!  So at the first opportunity, as I told her why we were at the lab, Aaron expounded on his seizure occurrence............and anything else that popped into his ever active mind.

I was called to the check-in desk to answer some questions, so as my back was turned and I answered the questions, Aaron had decided that this friend with the listening ears would surely want to see something special.  As I turned around to walk back to my seat, there stood Aaron in the middle of the waiting room.  He was preparing to lift up his shirt and show this kind, unsuspecting woman his prize bruise.
 
Now Aaron has done this before.............lifting his shirt to show someone his VNS surgery scar on his upper chest.  He does this very quickly, before we can react, and the effect is amazing.  We have never received any one's therapy bill after this event, so that's a comfort, but still I know that seeing Aaron's full stomach and chest without warning can be rather shocking.  And here he was, in the middle of a waiting room with other people around, preparing to lift his shirt and show my friend his bruise.

In my mind I was yelling, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"  but in reality I hurried over and gently told Aaron no............do not lift your shirt to show your bruise.  He thought that this was indeed a waste of a perfect opportunity while I thought that I was a very blessed mother for being able to turn around when I did and avert this shock to an entire waiting room full of wide-eyed, puzzled patients. 

The fake farting noise that Aaron made later as we exited the building..........and that echoed down the hall........was mild in comparison to the near-exposure that we had endured in the waiting room.  We were, after all, walking away and leaving it all behind (pardon another pun).

Dear Aaron - you have no idea of the effect you have on people.  I will be very relieved when I can tell you that your bruise is gone and can no longer be seen.........by ANYONE!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment