Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Wednesday on a Tuesday?!

Aaron has a pill box that I refill every Saturday night or Sunday morning.  On Sunday I spilled part of a drink on top of his pill box when it was full, naturally.  Some of the drink got into two of the full pill sections, so I had to throw those pills out.  The inside of those sections is a mess, so I decided to just buy a new pill box the next time I'm at Wal-Mart.  In the meantime, those two sections of pills are now empty.  The order is messed up on Aaron's pill box.  You know where I'm going with this.

This morning, Aaron came straggling into the kitchen right after he got up.  He and I sat at the table while he finished waking up, with him telling me his usual morning story about how tired he is.  I was asking about what he wanted for breakfast after he showered, and then I told him that he could go ahead and take his pills.  The Tuesday morning section is empty now, so I told him that he could just take the Wednesday morning pills........and that I would straighten it all up as soon as I buy that new pill box.

Aaron sat there, staring down........deep in pondering thought.  Then he softly said, "I don't know."  Well, I knew exactly what he didn't know and why he didn't know it, but I wanted to see if I could get him to bend just a little.........to veer just a tad from his usual pill box order.  I set the box down in front of him, and pointed to the Wednesday morning section on this beautiful TUESDAY morning.  "See, Aaron?  You can just take the Wednesday morning pills.  They're just the same as the TUESDAY morning pills."

He continued to stare at the disorderly pill box.  Then he slowly shook his head, as he quietly said, "No."

"Why not, Aaron?" I asked.

And he answered patiently for his rather slow-witted mother, "Because it's not Wednesday."

I know defeat when I see it.  I got the pills down and refilled the TUESDAY morning section.  "Now will you take them?"  I queried.

He brightened.  "Yes!"  he said.

What ever possessed me to think that on a TUESDAY morning Aaron could possibly take the WEDNESDAY morning pills?

Aaron is not Gumby.  He can only stretch so far in that orderly world of his.  You can't say I didn't try, though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment