Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Throw ON the Towel!



Here we go again.  I heard it from upstairs.......the sound of the plastic containers full of coffee hitting the floor and then the thump.  My heart sank as I hurried downstairs to check on Aaron.  He was fine, although sprawled on the floor with spilled coffee all around him.   He jerked and dropped his coffee yet again.........lukewarm coffee, thankfully.  And thankfully he didn't throw his coffee containers as he has been known to do when he's in a rage. This was a true accident, but messy and discouraging none the less.

I was frustrated with Aaron this morning over a couple things already and this didn't help, believe me.  My compassion for him still hasn't quite kicked in yet.  He has cleaned up and showered, and seems to be fine.  I hope he's not bruised.

I just stood and looked at this mess.........coffee all over the floor, the cabinets, on and under the frig.  UGH!  And I thought of how many times I've just felt like throwing in the towel.  We all do, don't we, whether we are parents or not.  But we can't quit.  God doesn't and we can't.  Especially as parents..........these children are given to us by God and He wants us to hang in there despite how tough it sometimes is.


So instead of throwing IN the towel, we throw ON a towel.  We clean the messes up step by step, bit by bit. We'll see progress one day, even if it's slow to come............even when we just stand there and don't know where to start.  God gives patience; and God gives us the same grace toward our children or others that He has extended to us.  We clean up the messes, whatever they may be, and we push forward.

The rest of the day is before us.  It's up to me now not to mess up my reactions and my attitudes.  I'll need to grab another towel if I'm not careful!



No comments:

Post a Comment