Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Face Around Me

Aaron's been grouchy lately, which makes me extra irritated with him.  I actually have been pretty tired of Aaron the last few days.  I hope that doesn't disappoint anybody but it's true.  His attitude leaves a lot to be desired right now...........and this affects my attitude, leaving me with much to be desired in the attitude department as well.

I had been out in the garden today and lost track of time.  Realizing that I needed to check on Aaron and ask him about lunch, I went up to his room to offer him some lunch.  He finally came downstairs, still carrying that attitude, so I was pretty brusque and unhappy myself.  This made him calm down and be contrite.  After all, food is in the balance here.

Speaking of food, he asked if Andrea was "coming over" today.........as if she's on the next street and might come over, instead of being an hour away and driving down for the day.  When I told him that she would be here, he asked, "So what food are we having?"  Everything seems to boil down to food with Aaron.  I told him that we were having chicken, and he asked the question he forever and always asks when we're having chicken:  "Is it boneless?"

No, this chicken is not boneless, Aaron.  He thought for a few seconds, and then said, "The problem is.......the bone."  So I responded, "Aaron, this is Kentucky Fried Chicken.  Does that make it better?"

His attitude improved greatly at the magic words..........Kentucky Fried Chicken.  That smacks of eating out...........of restaurant food..........of anything other than what Mom makes.  Aaron's not been picky as he's grown up, but now that he's gotten more of a taste of eating out, he does indeed love it!

He decided that he could handle the bones in KFC chicken and so that matter was settled.  I went outside to do something and when I came back in the kitchen, Aaron was polishing off an ice cream bar.  I walked by the side of the kitchen table, and lo and behold............there were two more ice cream bars on the chair.  He thought they were safely out of sight, but Mom's eyes are sharp for these things and his plan for three ice cream bars was foiled.  I did compromise and let him have one more, but not two more.  He knew a good turn of events when he saw it and so didn't press his good fortune.

As he got up from his chair, he walked over to me in the kitchen and stood there.  I turned to look at him and he asked, "Mom, does the face around me have chocolate?"

There he goes, warming my heart with his clever use of language.  I paused when he asked me this question to be sure I heard him correctly, and so he repeated it.........."Does the face around me have chocolate?"  And he gave a little laugh..........I'm not sure why...........and I smiled and told him that his face was clean.  He thumped on upstairs to take a nap, leaving me with that awareness again that no matter how irritated I am with him, he will somehow manage to make me smile and to keep me sharp with his amazing way of talking.

I well remember when the kids were little and days were exhausting and stressful.  There were times that I would smile at something and realize that I had not used those muscles all day.  What were my children having to see when they looked at me all day?  Smiling has a way of breaking the ice off my heart...........an outright laugh is even better.  And it certainly may improve the disposition of those around me.  I know that on many days and on many occasions, I need to be aware of the face around me - my OWN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment