Monday, June 18, 2012

An Auspicious Birth - Kind Of

It was a hot June 18 in Princeton, West Virginia, 57 years ago. Beth King was busy watching over her three children, ages 4 and under, as well as preparing for her parents to arrive from Florida. Her husband, Jack, was at work and so she busily got the house and dinner ready for her family to arrive. Oh, and someone else was getting ready to arrive, too. Beth was 9 months pregnant! And so in her typical hard-working fashion, she decided to tackle one more task that needed to be done. Grabbing the lawn mower, she set out to mow the large yard. She was barefoot - after all, this IS West Virginia!

After mowing awhile, Beth ran in to check on the dinner in the oven. She had made a specialty of hers - Cheese Souffle - and knew that she needed to watch its rising very carefully. Bending over, she slowly opened the oven door and received quite a surprise. Her water broke!! I don't remember all the details at that point - I was the one about to be born - but I can imagine that there was much rushing around and changing of plans and phone calls and getting to the hospital! 

Dr. Pace had to be called in from a family picnic on this beautiful summer Saturday. I had no concern for other's plans, only my own! Dr. Pace was wearing a very bright Hawaiian shirt and didn't have time to change because I was in a hurry. Mother had green feet from mowing the lawn. And so I was born, looking at green feet and a bold Hawaiian shirt. Does this explain me to all of you? It should. 

And guess what my favorite meal is, the one that Mom always made for me when I would come home from college or from being around the world as a military wife? Cheese Souffle, of course!! I love you, Mom, for giving me life on this day 57 years ago - strange as it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment