Monday, June 4, 2012

Artichokes and Cactus

Saturday morning I decided to run Aaron down to Great Clips for a much needed hair cut.  I hoped that we would beat the crowd, and thankfully we did.  As the worker there looked Aaron's name up on the computer, I realized she was glancing nervously at Aaron.  The hair dresser who would cut his hair and trim his beard also had the same reaction.  Oh brother!  It always amazes me how I can tell in just a few seconds whether someone will "get" Aaron or not.  I was fairly certain that these two girls were in the "not" category.  I was right.

Aaron was delighted that he didn't even have to sit in a chair to wait for his turn.  "Here Mom!" he said as he took his glasses off and handed them to me.  Then he took his treasured ring off is finger for me to also hold.  Good grief!  I was wondering if his shirt was next!  Those nervous girls were taking it all in, becoming even more nervous.  I smiled.  Just be yourself, Aaron.  Yet Aaron can also sense when someone doesn't understand him, so he was very quiet.  The girl didn't engage him in any conversation whatsoever while she quickly cut his hair and trimmed his goatee.  Her loss, for sure.  We were both glad to escape and head on over to Dillons for a few groceries.

I was checking out the cantalopes and Aaron spied the artichokes.  He quickly grabbed one and loudly said, "Mom!  Remember these?"  He was so happy with his find that I just had to snap a picture and laugh with him at this most unusual vegetable that he has always loved.  Always, always, Aaron loves the unusual.  He IS unusual, so it fits!


Up another aisle, Aaron was once again amazed at his find.  Cactus in a jar!  Another exclamation and another picture, and something to talk about for the entire weekend.  His day group will no doubt hear all about it today, too.  Later, as I stood in an aisle visiting with a neighbor, Aaron was spying all the wonderful finds in the meat department.  I had one eye on him and one on my neighbor, who smiled as Aaron brought me some Brats to examine, another package of yet different brats, and then I heard, "Ewwwww!!"  Of course, he found a Leg of Lamb that really did look like a leg of a lamb..............and this was indeed a great discovery of grossness to pick up and show us!


I leave with our church group today for camp, where I and my buddies will don our camp cook aprons.  I'll miss Aaron and his enthusiasm.  I will not miss his whacks on the back or thumps on the head.  Last night as I told him goodbye and goodnight, and was closing his door, he said, "Goodnight Sweetie!"


That's Aaron for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment