Monday, May 7, 2012

Watching Grass Grow

We have some shady areas in our front yard where we have a very hard time getting grass to grow.  Over the weekend, Gary spread some grass seed mix there.  Of course, this did not escape the attention of our ever observant Aaron.  This morning Aaron slipped out the front door to see if the mulch was wet, and to see what the temperature was on this cloudy, windy day.

Soon I heard the familiar thump, thump, thump as he hurried up the stairs.  Into my room he strode as he said, "Mom!  I opened the front door to see if the grass has grown!  It's still white dots."


I guess it does look like white dots, Aaron.  It takes awhile for it go grow.

"Well, when will it grow?"  And I told him again that it would take some time for us to see the grass grow from little white dots.  The seed has to be watered, and so forth.

And he asked, "What will it look like?  Will it be huge grass?"  So I asked him what he meant by "huge grass" as I envisioned living on a grassy African plain.

And he answered, "Will it be huge grass or normal grass?"

I assured him that we would have normal grass.........still wondering exactly what huge grass is, but Aaron had moved on.

He went back outside one more time to check the temperature.  I guess the first time he was distracted by the white dots in the dirt that haven't grown into huge grass yet, or even normal grass.

Back upstairs he thumped.  "Mom!  I looked up close at the grass seed.  It looks like oatmeal!  Is that oatmeal seeds?"


No, Aaron, I am sure that your dad did not plant oatmeal seeds.  Interesting concept...........except imagine the mess of oatmeal when it rained.

Later, when I came home after dropping Aaron off and running some errands, there I was peering down at the white dots on the ground.  You know, that mixture really does resemble oatmeal!  I smile and just shake my head once more at Aaron's fascinating descriptions.





Nope, life is not dull with Aaron around.  He causes us to pause and take a second look at so many things.......things that normally we would just hurry by and not notice.  And I have a feeling that we'll be having more grass seed/white dot/oatmeal-in-the-front-yard discussions as we wait and watch the grass grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment