Friday, May 11, 2012

A Thank-You!

Sometimes Aaron jerks, as in possible myoclonic jerk seizures.  No, I didn't say that Aaron IS a jerk.......at least not out loud.  OK - just kidding!  But really, he has dropped coffee or other drinks as well as food and whatever else may be in his hand when he has a jerk.  It doesn't seem to happen often, thankfully.

He came home today from his day group and was telling me about his day, about the movie they went to see and about going to the park afterwards.  He's calm and mellow today.  Our conversation was more adult feeling and pleasant.  I love days like this.

He told me that he got popcorn......a large, as always.  Now Paradigm staff may need to correct this, but the story Aaron told me is this:

"Mom, I was carrying my bucket of popcorn.  It was before the movie started.  We were out in the hall........you know, outside that theater place.  And I had a jerk and I dropped my popcorn."

He was very matter-of-fact about it as he continued:  "You know, we weren't inside the place where we watch the movie.  We were at that pay aisle place."

Bless his heart - it was very important to him that he set the stage and that I understood exactly where he was.  I assured him that I knew where he meant, and so he went on:  "Well, that theater lady came and she said she would sweep it up.  I told her that I would sweep it up but she said that she would do it."

Aw, Aaron.  He was embarrassed by all this and it makes my heart go out to him.  He felt bad for the theater lady to sweep up his mess that he had made.  Hearing him express that fact just really warmed my heart, and made me also feel sad for Aaron.......sad that he has to deal with all these public issues.

And I want to say thank you to this nice theater lady for sweeping up Aaron's mess.............and thank you to the guys who refilled Aaron's popcorn bucket (large, of course!)............and a huge thank you to all the Paradigm staff who work so patiently and kindly with not only Aaron, but with many other young special needs adults.  I know it can't be easy to keep it all straight and keep yourselves from getting irritated, but we think you do a fabulous job!

Good people need to be recognized, and we're very thankful that God has brought so many into Aaron's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment