Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Chips Mystery is Solved!

A few weeks ago, when we returned home after our trip with Andrea to Fort Worth, she was getting ready to leave for McPherson, where she lives and works now.  Before she left, Aaron asked her if she wanted the Sour Cream and Onion Pringles that he had bought while we were gone.  We were surprised at that offer because Aaron loves Sour Cream and Onion Pringles.  It would be unusual for him to give them away.........or very generous.  Very, very generous in Aaron's case.  When he returned with the chips, she asked him why he was giving them away and he admitted that he didn't like them.  What?!  But he assured us that he didn't like them and so he was happy to give them to Andrea.

He hasn't really been able to describe to us why he all of a sudden doesn't like Sour Cream and Onion Pringles...........until today.  I was outside watering our new growing grass when Aaron got home.  He came across the yard, swinging a Wal-Mart bag.  He told me about his day.........the number 52 Slushie and only one box of candy from Quik Trip...........and then the Pringles from Wal-Mart.  He reached into his Wal-Mart bag and took out one of the two canisters of Pringles that were in the bag.

"See Mom?  I got some Sour Cream and Onion Pringles."  And I said, "But Aaron, I didn't think you liked Sour Cream and Onion Pringles anymore."

"Mom!  I found out why I didn't like the other Sour Cream and Onion Pringles.  It's because they were the bursting flavor!"

Oh, I see..........bursting flavor, huh?

"Yes!  I don't like the bursting flavor ones, but I like these."

And these that he likes are Multi-Grain Sour Cream and Onion Pringles..............which are obviously very different from the bursting flavor Sour Cream and Onion Pringles.



Soon after this conversation, I was in the kitchen getting supper ready when Aaron came in and held the Multi-Grain Pringles up for me to see.  "Mom, these multi-grain Sour Cream and Onion Pringles are better.  They're better than the bursting flavor ones."

He must have seen my confusion because he continued, "The bursting flavor means it has a higher flavor."

Well, of course.  A higher flavor........and that's just not so tasty, is it?

"No, the bursting flavor is more spicy.  I'm glad they're not like that bursting flavor!"

Absolutely!  Bursting flavor is just too much!

After supper, Gary and I were working in the yard and garden.  I was watering more grass when Aaron came outside and walked over to the garden to talk to Gary.............and of course, he wanted to tell Dad all about the multi-grain chips compared to the bursting flavor chips.  That accomplished, he walked over to me and said, "Mom, I really like those Multi-Grain Sour Cream and Onion Pringles.  They're better than the bursting flavor."

Yes, Aaron, I know.

"And Mom, the multi-grain ones are green and they have black dots!  The bursting flavor ones are clear!"

Well, now, there's a clever marketing ploy!  So I tried to explain what the black dots are, but I realized that his descriptions are much more interesting than mine are and so I just hushed.  Aaron went inside for awhile, but returned one more time.  This time, he strode purposefully up to Gary in the garden............and he was carrying a canister of the Multi-Grain Sour Cream and Onion Pringles.  He once again explained to Gary the difference in the multi-grain ones and the bursting flavor ones, and concluded by saying, "And the multi-grain Pringles have polka dots!"

Maybe I'll have time to play a game of Skip-Bo tonight with Aaron...........and maybe, just maybe, I'll get to eat some of those green polka-dotted multi-grain Sour Cream and Onion Pringles.  Who needs plain old bursting flavor ones anyway?  These new ones sound like way more fun!

In Aaron's world they sure are!

No comments:

Post a Comment