Thursday, April 12, 2012

Don't Forget the Crescent Rolls!

Last night Aaron excitedly came into the family room from the kitchen, carrying this:




He found a package of crescent rolls in the refrigerator and instantly began planning his next morning's breakfast.   "Mom!  Can we have these crescent rolls for breakfast in the morning?"  I told him that we could.  He was very happy indeed.  He went back into the kitchen, only to immediately return, still holding the can of rolls.  "So Mom, we can have these crescent rolls for breakfast?"

Yes, Aaron, I told you that we could.  "Well, I'm just helping you remember."  Aaron, I will remember.  Believe me, with you around, I will definitely remember.

As he walked back to the kitchen, he said, "I'll keep them on the counter."   No, Aaron, they need to be kept in the frig.   "Well, I just want you to remember them."

Don't worry, Aaron.  He popped back into the family room, still holding the rolls up for me to see.  "This is the name of them."  

Deep breath..........Aaron, I know the name of the rolls.  I know what they look like.  I.  Will.  Remember.

And do you know that it wasn't five minutes later that he lumbered back into the family room and said, "Mom, do you remember what it is that I want you to cook?"  DO I LOOK LIKE I HAVE DEMENTIA?????  That last sentence was a thought........I did not say it out loud.  I don't think I did..............maybe I forgot.

Well, this morning Aaron had a seizure around 5:00.  He would want me to tell you that his seizure occurred at 4:51.  He slept for a long time then and didn't get up until after 9:30.  Of course, he feels awful after a seizure.  He slowly got out of bed and said, "Mom, I don't feel well."  He had the typical post-seizure headache and shakiness, but soon came on downstairs.

I just waited to see if he'd say anything about the crescent rolls and sure enough, after a few minutes, he said, "Hey wait!  Do you want to fix those rolls?"  So we got the crescent rolls out of the frig, opened the can, rolled them up just right, and popped them in the oven.  Aaron was very happy when he saw the hot rolls on his plate.  As I sat down, he said, "I'll wait for you to pray."  So sweet.  I asked him to pray and he, as he almost always does when he prays, had two sentences:  "Lord, please help me to feel better and thank you for the rain."  And then instantly he asked me, as we raised our heads, "Is it true that slugs are slow?"  I tell you...........you have to follow Aaron wherever he goes in conversation.  Ping, ping, ping from one thing to another!


We enjoyed the rolls and our chattering..........mostly Aaron chattering............and then he went upstairs to shower.  It wasn't long before he was very sleepy again and so laid down for a nap..........and had another seizure.  I got him up a couple hours later and he sat in the bedroom with me while I ironed.

He talked of course, and most important, had some sweet attention from his buddy, Jackson.  Aaron is happy with the simple life that he has and I'm so thankful for that.  He has never once expressed bitterness about having seizures or autism.




And among his blessings today:  hot crescent rolls that he didn't let Mom forget, and the love of a sweet dog........and Mom.............and a walk around the circle...........and the Lord, Who helped him feel better and gave him rain, which he loves.  Not such a bad day after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment