Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Mating........Gulp!

Aaron has never shown a real interest in the opposite sex in the way that you would think a grown man would.  His actions are still more like a first grade boy who finds girls weird or giggles at the mention of anything to do with sex. 

I remember when he was very young, when the Anita Hill hearings were on TV, and we had the television on in our military quarters in Germany.  I was in the kitchen cooking and before we knew it, he had heard the word "sex."  Why does that word instantly make a child's ears perk up?!  Gary was sitting in the living room with Aaron and I heard Aaron ask, "Dad?!  What is sex?"  There was total quiet.  Then Aaron repeated the question.........and again total quiet.  Finally Gary gave some sort of satisfactory answer and the moment passed..........but I was smiling broadly in the kitchen.  Way to go, Dad!!

On another day, Aaron zoomed into the kitchen there in Germany and asked, "Mom, is sex bad?"  Where on earth did that question come from?  So I told him no, that sex is not bad.  It was designed by God for married couples and it's a good thing.  Later I heard Aaron happily telling Andrea, "Andrea, Mom said that SEXY is good!"  Uh, something got lost in the translation there and I knew that at some point I would need to clear that up.  Another day...........another conversation..........hopefully a long time off!

We're thankful that Aaron doesn't seem obsessed with sex or with girls.  That's an issue that we would gladly not have to deal with considering his level of understanding and the complications that could arise from that.  Sometimes those conversations leave us a little uncomfortable but we try to be as honest as we can about the subject without being too blunt.

And then there are those nature shows........that show everything, or almost, at times.  We were watching Wild Russia the other night and things started getting a little wild.  I was tickling Aaron's back as we watched the elk and the mink and the wolves and the bears of this wild, forested area of The Urals in Russia.  It was beautiful and very interesting, and Aaron was fascinated. 

He became especially fascinated when a huge male bear began "horsing" around with a female bear, and the narrator began talking about how it was the time of year for the bears to mate.  I was eying the remote and wondering if I could "accidentally" change the channel behind Aaron's back, when he suddenly blurted out, "Mom!  They're not being SEXY, are they?"

And I stumbled around verbally, saying something about how they liked each other and it was nice to have each other.............and I don't know what else I said.  Aaron continued, "Do those bears want to love each other?!"  I believe he really just couldn't fathom that bears were capable of love like humans are, or at least that's what I want to believe he really meant. 

Aaron wanted to know more about why they would love each other and I talked about them wanting little cute bear cubs and he just could NOT understand why they would want cubs............except that cubs are really very cute.  The image on the screen changed and I breathed a huge sigh of relief as we watched the cute little baby mink playing together. 

I was just hoping that Aaron wouldn't want to know about Papa Mink and Mama Mink, and birds and bees and stuff like that. 

I think I'll look for Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment