Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Weighty Issues

An issue that Aaron struggles with - as do many of us - is his weight.  He maintains the same weight fairly consistently, and at the past few doctor visits has actually lost a few pounds, much to his delight and my surprise.  Aaron sometimes talks about his weight and shows us through those conversations that at times he is bothered by it. 

Some of Aaron's meds that he takes for seizures can cause weight gain.  He is awkward and uncoordinated, so exercise is hard for him.  But the bottom line is that the guy loves to eat!  The bigger menu item, the better.  I know that we don't practice enough discipline here at home in that area, but I do try to provide healthy food for all of us.  Hey, this morning he ate unsweetened applesauce so I get a point for that, right?  I give him healthy suggestions for eating out in his day group; urge him to quit eating buttered popcorn; praise him for enjoying water over soda.............but I can't be there to force him to make good choices.

I wrote a blog in the past about the day he bought two packs of 18 rolls at Paradigm - he did share some and then brought a pack home (which he devoured the majority of himself!).  I remember the day he was talking to me as I got my make-up on and he started talking about Grandmother being skinny.  He asked me if he had that "skinny gene" as he sat there stuffing a roll in his mouth.  You gotta have more than genes sometimes, Aaron!

Then there was the time that he said, "Mom!  I'm half-way losing weight!  Can you tell?"  I'm still trying to figure out how you can half-way lose weight, but many of us decided at that time to make that our mantra..............we are half-way losing weight!!!  And proud of it!!!

This morning on the way to meet his group, he said, "Mom, today before I got in the shower I noticed something about my body." 

I began mentally preparing myself for what was to come.

He continued, "I turned myself on my side and noticed that my stomach is big." 

Do not smile, Patty, I told myself.  And wipe that mental image from your mind, I added.

He wanted to know if he is fat and so I told him that, well, he could stand to lose some weight but not to call himself "fat."  Then to encourage him I told him that, you know, I have some weight that I need to lose, too. 

He quickly connected the dots and asked, "Mom, does your stomach look like mine?" 

I was so afraid he would ask what I look like when I turn myself on my side in front of  the mirror.  I was able to delay my answer as we pulled up to meet his ride. 

Well, time for you to go, Aaron!  You have a good day!  See you later! 

I am not getting near my mirror today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment