Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Fever

Having a fever night before last made me remember the time a couple of years ago that Aaron got sick.  I mean, really sick!  Disgustingly sick!

Poor guy, though - of course, he couldn't help it.  Gary and I were sound asleep when our bedroom door came open and there stood Aaron.  He was holding his arms out away from his sides and looked stiff and awkward.  I was trying to wake up and understand what had happened when Aaron very flatly said, "Mom.  I threw up."

Well, that was putting it mildly.  He had pretty well erupted.  He was covered in vomit, so I led him to the bathroom and helped him into the tub.  I told him to undress and it's all a blur from that point.  Gary got up, too, and we both had to totally strip the bed, clean, etc.  You all know how it is.  It took awhile, but Gary and I got things back to normal and eventually got Aaron all tucked into his bed.

This wicked virus he had also caused him to have a fever.  I was explaining to Aaron that these covers weren't his normal ones - that fact is very important to Aaron - and he was being very understanding.  Then I saw that his fever made him start quivering as he chilled and got hot, chilled and got hot. 

He looked up at me and through his shaky lips he said, "Mom.  In my hotness I'm cold."

I don't remember ever hearing before then or since a better description of a fever.  That's how I felt last night - in my hotness I was cold. 

Aaron does have amazing use of the language to convey his thoughts.  I'm so thankful for that............well, most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment