Monday, January 23, 2012

The Family Picture

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, I think you understand that Aaron is:

1.  Very observant
2.  Very blunt

Those two characteristics don't necessarily work well together.  Anyone who lives or works with Aaron knows that having thick skin is of great benefit.  A good sense of humor helps, too.

Several years ago I was able to fly home to West Virginia to spend some time with my family, and to also attend the 50th Anniversary Celebration of Johnston Chapel Baptist Church.  Mom and Dad raised us in this church, and we have many special memories of our time there.  My brother pastors there now. 

Anyway, during that visit my brother and my three sisters and I gathered around my dear parents for an impromptu photograph.  It's one of my favorite pictures of the five of us with Mom and Dad.




Now I have to explain that:

1.  All of us are.........how do I say it?.............well rounded.
2.  Except for Jan, who is not well rounded..............in the sense that the rest of us are.
3.  We love Jan anyway.

OK, Jan has managed to remain thin after all these years AND after giving birth to TWO - yes, I said TWO - sets of twins.  It's not fair - but like I said, we do love her anyway. 

When I received my copy of this picture, I framed it and displayed it proudly.  Of course, Aaron noticed it right away and wanted to look at it.  He and I stood there, gazing down at the picture, and talking about who was there.  Of course, there's Mom.......and Aunt Mary Beth........and Uncle John..........and Aunt Jan..........and Aunt Kathryn.............with Grandmother and Granddaddy.  

He pondered the picture for a few seconds longer, thinking, and then pointed to Jan as he blurted out, "So.......what happened to HER?"   

 Leave it to Aaron.  And every time we see Bob and Jan, Aaron will invariably mention that Aunt Jan is thin and you're not, Mom, and yada, yada, yada.................I just block it out at that point.   But I do love Jan!!  Love you, Jan!! 

Maybe I'll hide that picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment