Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Meow

In my post yesterday, I talked about two of Aaron's repetitive behaviors - rubbing his hands together, as well as the loud clapping.  He has other charming behaviors, as well.  One that he shares quite often is making noises with his mouth. 

Some of the noises may leave people a little puzzled when they hear them but they are not offensive.  One of those would be when he meows like a kitten.  It may be a little odd if you're standing somewhere and hear a grown man meow, but it's not terribly uncomfortable. 

However, Aaron's very favorite noise is quite the opposite of the meow sound.  His noise of choice sounds like.................well....................my dad would have wanted me to say that it sounds like Aaron is 'passing gas.'     Or that whoever might be standing beside him.............which is usually ME...........is passing gas. 

I become very embarrassed when Aaron makes this noise, as you can imagine.  Whether we're walking past the Wal-Mart greeter;  walking down a store aisle;  waiting in the check-out line;   sitting in a waiting room;  eating in a restaurant;   in the theater  -  it never gets any easier for me when Aaron decides to blurt out this pleasing noise. 

"AARON!!!,"  I hiss. "Stop making that noise!!!!"    And he almost always asks, "Why?"   WHY??!!  "Because people will think that one of us is.......farting.......(sorry, Dad)........and that's embarrassing!"  

But Aaron doesn't respond to social situations like you and I do.  His filters, the few that he has, are way off base.  Aaron receives some sort of satisfaction from making this noise, just like the clapping, but he is not embarrassed by it.  Not at all.  Ever. 

He came home from his group one day and told me, "Mom, I was standing in the line at Wal-Mart and I made the meow noise.  Then this lady looked at me funny."  

Well, yes, Aaron I've told you many times that no one else makes these noises and that when you do, people think it's strange, and so they will stare at you - which is why you need to stop making the noises...............on and on and on.

His reply:  "But Mom, isn't the meow noise better for me to make than the farting noise?" 

Well, when you put it that way................

No comments:

Post a Comment