Thursday, October 20, 2011

You Need a What?

Aaron has his very own unique way of describing things.  I've really never heard of anyone else who uses language the same way he does, although I'm sure that there are others.  It would be very amazing to get these persons together and just listen to them speak.  An aspect of Asperger's autism is that these individuals often have an impressive vocabulary, although not always understanding what they are saying.  Aaron's vocabulary isn't so impressive, necessarily, but he puts words together in very interesting and amusing ways. 

For instance, one day he said, "Mom, I saw one of those cars that the top of the hood comes down."  I knew right away that he was referring to a convertible.  He couldn't remember that word so he described the car instead in his own way.  We've become master interpreters of Aaron's language!

Yesterday he came home from his group carrying a slushie from Quik Trip.  As I mentioned in my blog awhile back, he told me that he got a "number 52" slushie at Quik Trip.  And guess what?  It really is a HUGE 52 ounce cup!  I've learned not to doubt him when he's very sure of these details.  Anyway, later he barreled into the kitchen and said:

"Mom, I'm thinking I need a hard pan thing for my slushie."  Even my refined interpreting skills were struggling with this one.  Then he walked over and grabbed this:








Of course!  A coaster!  I'm tucking that into my memory bank. 

No comments:

Post a Comment