Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mouthwash

Oral hygiene can be an issue with Aaron.  Not can be - it IS an issue with Aaron.  Some of his meds over the years have made his gums swell at times, for instance.  His lack of fine motor skills and manual dexterity make even brushing his teeth difficult for him.  Also, he thinks that the harder he brushes then the cleaner his teeth will be, so his gums suffer from being brushed too hard.  Don't even get me started on the difficulty with flossing!  Even the taste of toothpaste, too, has been an issue with him over the years.

So when his hygienist told us a few months ago that Aaron should start using mouth wash to assist in his oral health, I was very skeptical that he would agree to it once he tasted it.  Even opening the bottle on the Scope I bought has been a nightmare.  The lid has to be squeezed and then turned. This was amazingly difficult for Aaron to accomplish because of his motor skills issues.  You just had to have been there to see me trying to show him how to do it.  Now he just grabs the bottle and uses brute force to open it, then laughs like he's just killed a  mammoth for dinner! 

But he IS using the mouthwash every night, for which I'm very grateful and surprised.  He came downstairs some time back, though, and said, "Mom, that stuff I have to use in my mouth at night is very SPICY!!"   You know, I guess spicy describes it very well. 





But I thought for sure I bought the mint flavored, not the chipotle. 

1 comment:

  1. Chipotle flavored mouthwash. Hmmmm....maybe there's a market for that.

    Have you ever thought about trying to find a different lid you have around the house that might fit the mouthwash bottle? Just sayin'.....

    ReplyDelete