Thursday, September 22, 2011

Four or Forty Tops?

Individuals with Asperger's Syndrome often become fixated on certain areas of interest.  This is also called "perseverating."  When Aaron demonstrates this behavior, we call it:  "Oh good grief!  What's Aaron stuck on now?!" 

On our recent trip back east, he took his CD player with him along with some favorite CDs as well as some CDs he hadn't listened to often or ever.  He loves oldies music and so when he started listening to The Four Tops CD he was captivated.  Over and over he played certain songs, and over and over he stared at their picture inside the front cover.  I had to look at it; Gary had to look at it - and we had to listen to Aaron talk and talk about The Four Tops.  At one point he said, "I love The Forty Tops!"  I told him that if they were The Forty Tops then they would be a choir.  He thought this was "quite funny," as he says. 



He observed that The Four Tops wear "shiny church shoes" and because of the tapping on one of the songs he's just sure that they are tap dancing.  Somehow I can't see The Four Tops tap dancing, but I could be wrong.  Bing Crosby, maybe, but The Four Tops?  Anyway, he wanted to know their names and so I looked that up on my tablet as we drove.  Then he wanted me to write their names beside their picture that he stared at on the inside cover, which required me to log onto Wikipedia and compare faces with names, etc.  I felt like I was doing a research paper!  Aaron was becoming happier by the minute as he gathered more info - or as MOM gathered more info! 

In a moment of brilliance, I suggested that we check out YouTube to see some Four Tops videos.  I did that, and he was enthralled, but the video kept stopping and Aaron kept getting disappointed - which can lead to Aaron becoming frustrated - which we don't want!  So I rescued my tablet and told him he could log onto his computer at home for the YouTube segment of our Four Tops education.  And true to form, as soon as we were home Aaron was on YouTube watching the singing and dancing Four Tops.  At supper that night, he educated Andrea on all he had learned about The Four Tops, whether she wanted to hear it or not.  She was shown the picture with the names printed, heard about their shiny shoes with which they certainly tap dance, and was told that The Four Tops twirl when they dance.

And Aaron wonders why The Four Tops sing about girls all the time, and things like love, and he cracks up when they sing about staring at the girl's picture and kissing it a thousand times - or something like that.  In his literal mind, this is beyond comprehension.  And again, why do these guys keep singing about girls and love anyway?!  So this morning as we drove to his group, he did NOT forget to bring The Four Tops CD to the van.  When he heard them sing the phrase "I get all choked up," he declared, "Well, that's weird!  Why are they doing that?"  I asked him to tell me what he thinks "all choked up" means and he said, "You know - that coughing thing!!"  Whereupon I nearly became "all choked up" as I tried not to laugh!  And I will try very hard not to "choke HIM up" when he returns home today and we have to talk about all of this all over again!!

1 comment: